Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Monday, July 16, 2007

On The Wrong Foot

Steve and I have signed a lease on a new apartment and until our move in date it sits vacant, ready to be lived it by two kids with nothing but hope in their eyes. So I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal if we called up our soon-to-be new landlords to get the keys to the place so we could measure the rooms and buy some rugs before we moved in. I was wrong.

Sunday afternoon I call the number listed on our lease “uhh, hi, I was wondering if (insert landlord’s name here) is home.”

“No” a harsh and throaty female voice came back at me through the phone.

“Ummmm, will he be home soon?”

“No, he’s in the hospital, who the hell is this?”

I never think that it’s a good way to introduce yourself when the word hell is used to inquire your purpose. After explaining that I was soon to be the new resident of the house and that I was hoping to stop by and get the keys so I could measure…

“CRAP! You don’t have the keys?” I could hear the panic in this woman’s voice. A panic I hear all too often at work with patients who needs a xanex before we get them out of bed. “You need to come and get the keys today!”

“Umm, ok, I can be there in twenty minutes.” At this point I would have done anything to get off the phone with this woman. So Steve and I set off to get the keys to our new house weary of this woman but with dreams of rugs and new sofas in our minds.

Once at the house we called the woman who told us that we weren’t expected until August and we would need to call to her husband.

“592” She started to blurt out a number to me that I was apparently suppose to call.

“One minute let me just get a pen...”

“592”

“I don’t have one quiet yet…”

“592” with ever repetition of the phone number her voice got louder until she was able to give me the entire phone number which she screamed at the top of her lungs. The afternoon ended awkwardly as we called our new landlord in the hospital to ask if we could get keys to house we don’t lease yet.

Not the way I wanted to start our new relationship with a man who holds a large security deposit over us.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger PAVE Data said...

    that sounds like the most awkward situation i have ever heard of.

    no one acts like that in the midwest.

    forget about boston and come home.

    or keep living in boston and start answering the phone with "who the hell is this?"

     
  • At 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whoa!

    Well, good luck with the keys. And perhaps you can share in her tactful manner and offer her a Xanax or klonopin or some other relaxation technique.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home