Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Safety Dance

I own a bike helmet even though I don’t own a bike. I use to wear wrist guards when I would rollerblade and I never pullout into traffic before I look twice. I am a bit of a safety nut. I think this comes from being a nurse and seeing how things can be perfectly normal and then get bad. Really bad. So to counteract all the crazy ways we can get hurt in the world I’ve become a bit more cautious. Steve never realized this about me until we were in Minnesota last week and we took a tour of a sand-mine.

Hard Hats Required!


Event though we were in a truck and never had to exit the truck we rode in on I wore my hard hat at all times and kept the respirator at my feet near me. “Don’t worry,” the miner/tour guide assured us, “we’ve never had a cave in.” As comforting as that was, I kept reminding myself that we were under 400 ft. of sand and dirt and all the recent mine cave-ins kept running through my mind.

We wound our way through the catacomb of the mine learning about mining sand and the types of bats that lived in the cave, my hardhat securely on and my hand gripping Steve’s until we emerged on the other side of the mine unhurt. Steve thinks it was silly to wear the hat the entire time we were in a mine in a truck but I see it as a necessary precaution to being so far underground. Besides, I think the hat looks cool.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:25 PM , Blogger PAVE Data said...

    when the guide told us that we were under 400ft...i rolled up my window.

     
  • At 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Where was the tour?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home