Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I see London, I see France

As a nurse I have a lot of conversations about people’s underwear. I’m as surprised about it as you are, but a lot of people have a phobia about being naked. I’ve been asked one too many time by a patient if they can wear their underwear to the OR. Then after surgery women who are “amply endowed” have to wear a surgical bra so their sternal incision doesn’t get pulled open by the weight of their chest. There is nothing more awkward then asking a nun what kind of bra she wears.

So it was in this manor that I found myself wrapped in a surgical bra with one of my co-workers. We had a woman on our unit who said she wears a “50 double E.” I didn’t even know they made bras that large. The bras we have only go up to XXL so my co-worker and I decided to stretch out the bra by fastening both of us into one bra. We later resorted to one of us running down the hallway holding one end of the bra while the other stood in one place to make it fit. Once presented to the patient, who had already told us our bras don’t fit her, we were met with a seal of approval.

Thank god for stretchy elastic.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a hilarious story...I can't imagine what a 50 double x would look like.
    You should send this one to SCRUBS!

     
  • At 11:33 PM , Blogger PAVE Data said...

    i hope your patient didn't see you do that, it could be embarrassing

    but since i'm not your patient, please tell me you took pictures.

     
  • At 6:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Actually I told her we streched it out for her and she was happy about that. No pictures were taken, after all a hospital is a professional enviroment.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home