Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Sweet Internet

For the last few months my laptop that I purchased from Winona State University has lived on the floor of Adrianne’s and my living room. When I moved into the house the internet had already been installed and Adrianne felt that we should encrypt our wireless signal so hackers couldn’t go through our personal files. Fair enough, but there was a problem.

Being that my computer was a PC and that it was obtained second hand there were a few problems with setting up the new access code. Neither Adrianne nor I had any idea where to do this, and when I called the PC people they said that because I got my computer from Winona State that they would be the only people who could help me with tech support. Winona State said that since I was no longer a student I could not receive tech support from them. The wireless people told me to call the PC people. After being on the phone for 2 hours I felt like shooting the computer then any tech support person I could find. That entire episode of calling help desks occurred during August and I have since just had my computer plugged into the internet router in the living room.

Then last week I clicked on a small icon that sat at the bottom of my computer. I had no idea what it meant but it always popped up when it turned on. A window appeared that prompted me to type a wireless address and an encryption code. I followed the steps and help my breath as I pulled out the internet cable that had been connected to my computer for the last four months. The internet continued to work and man’s eternal struggle against technology took another step foreword.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Woot! Way to get ahead of the curve! Happy (belated) Birthday!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home