Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I’m the Lady

Yesterday I had an eye appointment. I walked to the eye doctor’s office about a mile and a half from my house. Between where the eye doctor is and where I live there is a bit of run down area of town, a place I would not like to walk alone after dark. This area also had a Starmarket.

“Perfect” I thought, “I’ll grab some groceries on my way home.”

The market was filled with people who looked like they were going to be paying with food stamps. Single moms talking about what types of cigarettes they smoked and about their no-good boyfriends stood around me in the check out line. One of the single moms was fighting with her child over weather or not he could buy candy. The child began to through a tantrum and ended up stepping on my foot. The mom grabbed the child’s arm and turned him towards me.

“Say ‘sorry’ to the lady,” she demanded.

I started to look around to figure out which lady they were talking about when I realized I was the lady. I have never felt so old in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home