Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Driving

“Hey I’m going home to Ohio for thanksgiving on Tuesday, can you give me a ride?”

I think Steve could see the terror behind my eyes right after he asked that question. It’s not that I don’t like driving, it’s just I haven’t really driven in Boston before and I haven’t driven since I moved here 4 months ago. Steve also has a manual car which only adds to my anxiety. Change lanes, shift, and watch for my exit? Not only do I have to worry about my driving ability but Boston has some of the craziest drivers ever and even worse unmarked streets. It’s hard to know where you are when every cross street is unmarked and the street you are driving on doesn’t seem to exist on any map.

We made a dry run to the airport on Sunday. I learned that you have to pay a $3 toll to come back to the city from the airport. You also have to drive through the Big Dig. It went well except that we took the wrong exit coming home. The way I practiced coming home was not the most direct way and not worth the detour.

This morning Steve looked me in the eye and asked “Are you ready to drive me to the airport?”

“Yes” I responded in my best trying to be brave voice. The drive there I was so nervous I started to shake. I dropped him off at the gate and gave him a good bye kiss.

“Don’t cry” he instructed, “you might miss your exit. Call me when you get home.” I repeated the directions home to him, waved, and drove away.

I focused on the directions. I kept repeating them to myself on the drive, shift down, shift up, pay toll, go through the tunnels, across the bridge, exit. As I pulled into the parking spot I got giddy. I made it home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home