Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Traditional Christmas Pickles

I try to resist until after Thanksgiving but this year I can’t. I’ve been Christmas shopping, or at least looking at Christmas items.

Ornaments of Snoopy a wearing Santa hat, small children on sleds, and other holiday classics are as usual lining the store walls. But this year I have also noticed a new addition to holiday ornament family. A pickle. Not at just one store either, but the holiday pickle has appeared at many stores. Green and shiny it sits next to the reindeer and Santa heads.

When did pickles become Chirstmasy? I eat pickles all year round. It doesn’t seem like anything that people consume just in the month of December. I’m not sure I can ever accept the Christmas Pickle.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey sis,

    wish you were coming home for thanksgiving. it'll be lonely with out you. and i'll have to take grandma to the bathroom alone.

    mom used to put the christmas pickle on her tree as a kid. We don't do that.

     
  • At 8:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wait, the pickle is something people really use to put on their tree?

     
  • At 4:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, I've heard of the pickle tradition. It would be hidden on the tree, and all the kids would look for it--the one who spied it had good luck or something...

     
  • At 6:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    my family does the pickle tradition. must be the crazy polish/italian in me. D

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home