Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Flours

One of my favorite parts of the movie "Stranger Than Fiction" is when Will Ferrell comes running up to Maggie Gyllenhaal as she is about to close her bakery and professes his love for her. He holds out a box filled with little brown bags and says he brought her a present. She eyes them over and asks what they are, and he meekly answers "flours". It's a beautiful moment and a turning point in the movie and a gift that I am totally envious of.

Without really being conscious of the slowly growing number of bags in my pantry I now have 5 different flours sitting in my small kitchen waiting to be used. I realized my flour wealth last night while I was making bread and had assumed that I would need bread flour but upon closer inspection found that I just needed regular flour and whole wheat flour. No extra trip to the store was needed, everything was already here. I love cooking and every time I use an new ingredient I am excited. I can't wait to find a new type of flour to use and make into another delicious loaf of bread, or dumpling, or cookie.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I looove that feeling when you're looking at a recipe of 'hey, I already have that ingredient, I don't need to leave my house in order to make this recipe!' This may explain why I like to pick up random ingredients during normal shopping trips (condensed milk...black beans) so that the next time I'm making tacos or fudge, I already have what I need. I guess you could say I like to plan ahead...and I'm neurotic.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home