Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Who Is This Girl?

Steve is back after a week away. I hate the person I become when he is gone. You would think that after I have lived 23 years pretty much a single woman I could survive a week without my boyfriend. Fact of the matter is I don't do a very good job of it. I make excuses like "I don't like taking care of the cat" or "The house creeps me out alone" which are only slightly valid for why I dislike that he is away. Through most of college I had an absentee roommate so I know how to live alone. I cat is only a pain at night or early morning.

It bothers me how much I miss him or how excited I get when he comes home. I tried to find stuff to do while he is gone but even still I miss him. I remember when I was in college feeling so independent and vowing never to become dependent on a man. I feel like I've betrayed that me. The problem is sometimes I wonder if that is a bad thing. Steve is soon going to be my family. I miss them when they are not with me. I don't see how this should be any different.

I guess, there is a little war going on inside of me. The side that wants to be an independent woman and the part that is going to be a devoted wife. The next few years should be interesting to see how I find a balance and be a balanced person both with and without Steve.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    when bri was away this month, i made lots of food and froze it for future use. and cleaned the entire apartment. and watched the first 4 seasons of the office.

     
  • At 10:27 AM , Blogger Adrianne Mathiowetz said...

    I think it's also a matter of getting used to a presence being around. Since I usually sleep next to my boyfriend, the first few nights he's gone somewhere are really difficult for me to sleep. But if he's gone, say, a week, by the time he comes back it's difficult for me to sleep next to him again without waking up all the time. I think that's true in waking life too.

     
  • At 1:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with A...it's really about having another soul in your life. (No, Moose won't do!) However,
    none of us wants to be so dependent on someone else that we can't function. So that battle wages on...
    I don't think it's about dependence vs. independence. It's about being a human.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home