Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Monday, March 09, 2009

Minty Fresh Cardiac Arrest

It was Sunday night, it was late, we had worked all weekend (with only 11 hours off between shifts thanks to daylight savings) all M and I wanted to do was find two seats together on the T. We looked around the car and spotted two seats at the very end of the car. I started towards them but abruptly stopped. The man sitting next to the only two open seats looked like he didn't have a home, was drunk, and was drinking Listerine. He must of have seen me stop walking towards him and turned because he yelled "hey F-- you" at us.

Thankfully someone moved so we did find a open spot to sit together. We talked about our day and stole glances at the Listerine hobo. Half way though the T ride I informed M that if the man who was voluntarily drinking ethyl-alcohol cardiac arrested on the T I would not perform rescue breathing. I would do compressions and I would debilitate him, but I would not put my mouth on his. She pointed out that you can make a tight seal with your hands and give rescue breaths that way, I told her she could try that as I did compressions. One look at his unkempt beard made her think twice about the hand seal.

Luckily the minty fresh homeless man exited the train before to long to "visit (his) girlfriend". And we were spared working after hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home