Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why Can't We Be Friends?

A few weeks ago Steve and I got a new neighbor. Our landlord informed us about a month before that someone had rented out the top level of our house and would be moving in soon.

"She's a nurse practitioner, but I think she looks a little young to be in that profession." He told me. "She's about your age."

I was already excited to meet her. The day she moved in I felt something akin to the feelings I had moving-in day at the dorm. Her family helped her unload her U-haul and move everything up three flights of stairs. I sat in my apartment and observed the chaos of moving. I wanted to be her friend so badly by now.

The next day I ran upstairs with a fresh batch of cookies to welcome her to the house. She invited me into her still packed house and we talked for a bit. We made vague plans to hang out sometime and I left feeling excited by the fact that I was on the cusp of having a new (and super conveniently located) friend.

I started to think about how awesome it would be to have a friend who lived in the same house (but not same apartment) as me. It would be like living in the dorms in college! That was when the pessimistic side of me took over. I'm not in college, and this is not the dorms. She could be weird/creepy or just not fun. She would always be around weather I wanted to do something or not. I'm trying keep my dorm theroy working but as of today, the most I've seen her is in the morning when we have to move the car so she can get out of the driveway to go to work.

I want show her that I am friendly with out being overly excited for a friend (or becoming the creepy one). I think a pie should do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home