Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Dream Dress

Ask any girl what here "perfect" wedding dress looks like and I'm sure she can at least give you a few choice adjectives. Even girls who say they never want to get married have some idea of the "perfect dress". So as I started to look for my "perfect" dress I a few ideas and a lot of anxiety.

The week before I went dress shopping with my mom I had multiple dreams regarding the search for the dress. One where I woke up yelling "I'm not wearing a kimono!" and another were I am continually trying to wear a lace dress but when I put it on it is a completely different dress.

The day the was designated "find the dress day" in my calender started off to a slow start. I, for the most part, wanted to avoid most large wedding chain shops and stick with local small business. The first shop we went to did not have much in the way of the kind of dress I wanted so we quickly moved on to the next store.

The second store was a lesson in retail. We were the only people in the entire store for the most part so every dress I tried on was met with "awww, you look so beautiful, that looks perfect on you" and "You have the perfect figure to wear this dress." It's hard not to be flattered but as I changed back into my jeans another customer came in to try on a coat and was met by the same "awww, this coat is perfect for you, it's like this coat was made for you." With a grand total in my hand for a dress and veil equaling twice my budget I left the second store at least an idea that there was a dress out there for me.

The third store was completely packed of girls and their moms shopping for dresses. I tried on what seemed like fifteen dresses before I tried one on that was different then any other dress I had worn. "This is a beautiful dress" my friend B told me. I looked in the mirror not completely sold until the bridal consultant came up and clamped and pinned the dress so that it would fit me like it would if it was my size. I looked the mirror and tears started to form in my eyes. It was the "perfect" dress for me. It had all the things I was looking for in a dress that I would wear as a bride.

So, we got a dress! (and for $300 less than my budget for the "perfect" dress.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home