Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Monday, October 27, 2008

With Hesitation

About a month ago my friend K at work got a phone call that went something like this:

"hi, this is Bob, your friend from high school."

K: "I don't have a friend Bob from high school... Is this a joke?"

Caller: "No, I know you, you drive a blue neon, you got married last year to Rob, and you work at MGH."

K: "Who is this? Is this some kind of joke?"

Caller "I'm watching you."

End of phone conversation.

Yikes! After that phone call K called the police, changed all her information, and deleted all of her online accounts. The Police think that because K is a nurse that the person who called her was a patient or a family of a patient. Apparently being a nurse makes you an easy object of fixation for people.

While I learned this in nursing school, I never have encountered it in real life. It's scary. To be honest it has made me really hesitant to post on my blog. It is a bit of a double edge sword, on the one hand I want people to be able to read about me and my life here, but I don't want it to become a way for someone who is crazy to hurt me.

So, I continue to blog because I like it despite the creepiness in the world. Because it helps me feel close with people who I'm not geographically close to. But I won't be joining Facebook anytime soon.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Adrianne Mathiowetz said...

    In Facebook's defense (and lately, I rarely defend Facebook at all), anything you put on Facebook is only viewable to the people you specifically give that permission to. Unlike, say, a weblog, which is viewable by anyone with an internet connection.

    Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of reasons to avoid Facebook, but fear of stalkers should not be one of them.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home