Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

In the John Hurt Way

I am not a fan of pain. I work very hard to avoid any pain what-so-ever, so it seems very bizarre to me that women seem so excited about child birth. From what I can tell having a baby pop out of your most sensitive area hurts a lot. Even watching the Johnson-and-Johnson commercial about moms giving birth stresses me out. I started to cry while watching Coupling and Susan gave birth. I know as a women birth is expected of me, and I do want to have a biological child someday. There just doesn’t seem to be a good way of getting a child that will grow inside of me out of me without a lot of pain. The entire process stresses me out.

Remember Alien? Remember that guy who had the alien pop out of him? That was very much like what the births I witnessed while I was in nursing school. Someone’s stomach is sitting out all big and pregnant looking then all of the sudden there is blood and some sort of fluid and a freaking face! Bam! A baby is there.

Maybe one day I’ll be brave enough to want to go through labor and have a baby. I know I’m not there yet. So when my friend Andrea told me that she was twelve weeks pregnant I was excited for her but also a bit afraid for her to have so much pain. I guess in the end what I want to say to her and her husband Brian is: congratulations! You are a lot more brave then me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home