Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Monday, August 20, 2007

My IKEA Crisis

Steve and I spent all weekend unpacking/orgainizing our house which, if you haven’t ever moved in with a significant other, is fairly stressful. The merging of our stuff has so far been smooth and free of freakouts on both our parts until we took a trip to IKEA on Sunday.

Going to IKEA in my mind is the same as going to a small town fair. There is food, too many people and stuff to buy. After getting a few necessities I started to have a bit of an existential crisis. I started to think about all the moving we had just done and how after weeks of moving I still have stuff at my old house to move. Why were we buying more stuff, what is the point of having all this stuff? Is IKEA really affiliated with the Nazi party? Why does everywhere in the store smell like cheap balsa wood and meatballs? I ended up leaving the store with a dazed look in my eyes and refusing to pay the extra fifty cents for the plastic bags to carry our belongs to our car.

I would like to say that I don’t have to go back there any time soon, but we still need a new couch for our house and IKEA is currently the front-runner for our money.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We never had IKEA. We shopped at Goodwill and borrowed old furniture from our families. When we moved back to the US, we bought at garage sales and waited for relatives to "pass down" their furniture. So IKEA is a step up. Keep that town fair image in mind and enjoy the fun of going with the flow (as your Grandma is now saying).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home