Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Start Building an Ark

I’m sitting in my room tonight listening to the rain as it crashes against my window. Before I moved to Boston I never really heard angry rain. I had heard drizzles, showers, storms, down pours, and that steady rain that makes a day miserable. The rain here on a day (or night) of a nor’easter has a certain sound, a sounds that lets you know that it’s outside and it wants in. A sound of relentless rain that comes on in waves, a sound of wind that finds its way through all the cracks in the apartment, a sound of the pictures on the walls swaying just a little as the house shakes from the gusts of wind. Maybe it’s because I’ve never lived in the top story of a house, maybe it’s because I’m usually alone when big storms comes up. But now I’m here in a quiet house listening to the storm that is beginning to pick up speed and it’s not as cozy as it sounds.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When we lived in Thailand, we heard somthing called "elephant rain." You could hear the drops in the distance --really! Here in MN my students often comment that they have never heard thunderstorms like we have in the mid-west...
    So, now I know that a nor'easter is another sound...
    What an experience you are having.

    Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home