Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

In the Job Description

Often times people describe a nurse as a person who saves lives and most of the time they are right. I love where I work because most of our patients get better and go home relatively soon after they have surgery, it’s happy; they use to be sick but now they are better and their quality of life has improved. This last week though I experienced, for the first time, the other side of what nurses do; help patients die comfortably. I don’t wish to get into the details of this patient to respect the family and patient’s right to privacy. Needless to say that putting a patient on comfort measures is both good and bad. It’s good because it respects the wishes of the patient and family, but at the same time you have to admit defeat, that what you do doesn’t always work.

Less then twenty-four hours after being put on comfort measures the patient died. I don’t consider myself a religious person but more and more often I have started to say, and believe, patients are in a better place after they pass. I don’t know if I believe in heaven or any sort of after life, but I think almost anything is better then lying in a dark hospital room.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So that day finally arrived...it sounds as if it wasn't what you'd dreaded. Death and dying does make people introspective. It also makes people realize how wonderful it is to be in this world and to be happy with all the small little things that make up life.
    Koren used to say that we should live life to its fullest, and that that was the real message of humanism.
    Enjoy those runs, enjoy the raindrops, enjoy the spring.
    Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home