Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Books Of Summer

When I was in elementary school our teacher had us read To Kill a Mockingbird over the summer. She explained to us that it was summer book, that as soon as school ended she dug out her old Harper Lee novel and read it to start her summer. At the time I tried to figure out how a book could capture a season, it made no sense to me. Now I understand what she means.

For the past three years I have read a Barbra KingSolver book in the summer time. I just finished reading Bean Trees and feel that I can only do justice to her books if they are read in the summer time under a shady tree on a hot day. The way she writes about nature and it’s meaning in her books make you want to be surrounded by it. What is a better excuse to get yourself outside then a book?

1 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm so glad you enjoy Kingsolver, and also that you have time in your busy life for "summer books." I'm sure MS. Pellizer and Ms. D'Allessio would be happy...wonder which tree they are sitting under?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home