Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Irony with a White Cane

Adrianne and I have both noticed the high frequency of blind people living near us. Walking to the T, the grocery store, or going for a run I usually pass someone who needs the sight assistance of a dog.

The idea of being blind terrifies me, I can only imagine living in a large city with streets constructed in the 1800’s would be a daily obstacle course. I get lost now and I have the use of my eyes to tell me where the heck I am.

Last week Steve and I were walking to his car when I looked across the street. A man and a woman were walking arm in arm and both of them clicking along with matching white sticks. “Oh my god,” I whispered to Steve, “look over there, it’s the blind leading the blind!” And it really was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home