Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Remembering My Childhood

“Are you up for a forest day or a city day?” Steve asked me this morning when he called.

I peaked out the window and was stunned by how beautiful it was out. The sun was shining, the heat and the humidity were low, and there was nary a cloud in the sky.

“I’m up for a forest day.” I replied looking foreword to having a nice long hike.

After a 45 min drive with some minor road rage, we arrived at Blue Mountain State Park. We glanced for few moments at the map then we headed off into the forest. We quickly found a great trail marked with blue cards pray painted on trees. The trail started getting a little steep. Our conversation quickly dwindled as our need to concentrate on climbing grew. Soon it felt that we were climbing straight up the side of a mountain. We soon made it to the top to a breath taking view of the valley below.

I was unaware that Massachusetts was so similar to Northern Minnesota. I felt strangely nostalgic. When I was younger my parents always took us to Northern Minnesota for vacations. They would force us to go on these long hikes along Lake Superior or whatever lake we were near that year. I hated it. I hated all the bugs and muggy weather. But today I loved hiking. We even got rained on but I didn’t mind. The rain was warm and the sun was still shining. I took a moment to soak it up.

We ended the day by getting lost for awhile but finally made our way back to the car. I think I found my new hobby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home