Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Head On Into The Kitchen

Let me start this post with saying my mom is an amazing cook. It's not that she makes super fancy meals all time but what she does do is make cooking look easy. Growing up we almost always ate home cooked meals. It was rare if ever we got take out or went to a restaurant so that left about 95% of our meals made from scratch at home. Not only did my mom make most of our meals (which seems pretty rare now) she would often cater to every single persons desire for food. It was very common that we would have multiple dishes for dinner. Steak for my dad, spaghetti for my sister and pancakes for me. She also would have all these things ready at the same time so we could have dinner as a family. This basis of "food should be made, at home and fresh, and it's no big deal" mentality has carried on to my adulthood.

I love cooking. There is something so soothing about following a recipe and making a wonderful meal. No matter what is going on in my life I know I can open a cook book, lose myself in the actions with chopping, saute-ing, and steaming food. It becomes almost therapeutic. Just focus on chopping this onion so you don't chop your finger off makes you live in the moment. Putting together multiple small pieces to make an amazing whole is so gratifying. It also makes me feel good to provide for my husband (mostly) health meals. Making your own food and not relying on a restaurant just seems normal to me.

I know parents hope to instill "important" values to their children like honor, trust, kindness, good work ethic, ect. I feel my parents gave me all of that and also an awesome hobby.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:12 PM , Blogger Adrianne Mathiowetz said...

    Seriously, watch out for them fingers!

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Adele said...

    What a nice thing to say about my cooking! That catering part was really tough, though, and I imagine I should have made you all eat porridge or something!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home