Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Farmers Market

I simply love Farmers Markets. Pinching peaches, smelling apples, and "sampling" home made cheese is my idea of a good time. When I lived in Boston Adrianne and I had a standing date to meet each Wednesday at the farmers market in Davis square. We would walk through the parking lot filled with fresh greens and talk over the various dishes we were planning to make.

Now that I live in Chicago and a lot closer to more farm land the selection has grown. Farm fresh peaches, wild blue berries, crisp apples are a must. I love being able to talk to the person who picked the peach that I am going to eat tonight. Steve had a long conversation with one of the meat sellers about the hog that had just given birth to piglets. We have a direct link with the people who grew our food. I think that is how it should be. Every time we eat we should think about the person who grew our food and how long it took to get from where they are to where we are. With a "eat local" philosophy we can have a "thanksgiving" every day for the amazing food that we know the point of origin of.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:34 PM , Blogger jjhansen2 said...

    careful, pinching other people's peaches can get you in trouble

     
  • At 3:34 PM , Blogger Adele said...

    I'm jealous about the blueberries! They are done here, and today I'm buying frozen ones at the co-op...where they are on SALE...the big and juicy ones!

     
  • At 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I know what you mean. Rochester's Farmers Market was just voted the best in the USA. Next time you're here for a visit, make sure we take you there.
    Uncle G...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home