Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hair!

I had always wanted to try having short hair. As a child I sported the normal small-child-in-the-80's bowel cut that most people did. I never had hair shorter then an inch since I was a baby. There never seemed a good time to do it. There were always excuses not to. Until last November. Stereotypically women will grow their hair out for their wedding and then cut it shorter after. I thought I would go to the extreme of this stereotype and pixie cut my hair. Why not? If not now then never was my mantra as I made my way to the salon that day.

I was nervous but I didn't want to be like one of the girls on America's Next Top Model who cried at the hair cut make over. I put on my brave face, had the stylist put my hair into a pony-tail and then cut it all off. He cut and cut and cut and I stared straight ahead thinking about how awesome it would be to have hair that would dry in under an hour. I kept trying to talk myself into why short hair would be good and when he was done I lied and said I liked it.

I put pictures of myself on facebook with short hair and thought that I would learn to like it. I smiled when people would tell me they liked the new cut. I hated it. I hated how it made me look. I hated how my head looked naked. I hated the fact that I didn't get to put my hair up. After a few months of growth I still didn't like. I felt like I always had the same look weather I was at work or out with friends. Yes, their were hair clips that I could put in to look nice and there was the added connivence of not having to dig the pile of hair out of the drain after every shower but I still missed my long golden curls that made me feel like me.

My hair has grown out almost a year now and is almost to my jaw line. I miss my long hair and can't wait for it back. I know lots of other people love having short hair, but it's just not me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home