Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Cutting For Stone

Short post today as I worked yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I have been reading the book Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese and so far have really enjoyed it. The characters for the most part feel real, great descriptions, and plot. Without giving too much of the plot away it's about some doctors in Africa. Here are a few favorite quotes so far:

"And Because I love this Life
I know I shall love death as well.
The child cries out when
From the right breast of the mother
Takes it away, in the very next moment
To find the left on
Its consolation"

"On one occasion with a patient in grave peril, I begged my father to operate...I knew the chance (of survival) was was infinitesimally small and the first whiff of anesthesia might end it all...'Remember the Eleventh Commandment,: he said. :Thou shall not operate on the day of a patient's death.'"

And finally:

"Flatus, Fluid, Feces, Foreign Body, and Fetus feel better out that in"-The Five-F rule.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home