Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Running On Ice

Last Sunday I was determined to go running when I woke up. Then I looked outside at the 6+ inches of snow and decided to rain check my run. So once things warmed up a bit I ceased the day and laced up my running shoes and away I went. I was a bit nervous about all the snow and now the melted snow that had become ice so I took my cell phone with me in my pocket just in case. I figured that the snow banks were so high that it was conceivable that I could fall and lay on the cold sidewalk with a broken leg and be unseen by the street. Having a back-up plan seemed like a good idea.

So I ran. It was a great run until near the end where I ended up sliding down a hill and jumping into a said large snow banks to avoid falling. And while my cell phone was not needed for emergency purposes I did get a phone call from a friend who I was meeting up with later in the day. The cell phone will now become a permanent fixture on my runs as long as I have a pocket for it (i.e. until it's warm).

1 Comments:

  • At 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good idea about the phone. The local news had a story about a guy who set out for a walk in a park near the river and tripped, falling down an embankment...and stayed there for two nights. His cell didn't seem to have a signal. Although the nights were cold, it wasn't sub-zero...just in the 'teens. On the thid day, he somehow got a call from a friend and was rescued.
    Moral of the story: keep that phone charged!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home