Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Really Cold?

So the "big drop in temperature" that was expected to hit the east coast is here. I must say I'm not impressed. Yes it's cold but then I see pictures of people in Minnesota where it is really cold and I think, ehh it's not too cold here. I don't get that feeling the my face is freezing when I go outside. What I feel is the real difference between Minnesota and Boston is the lifestyles.

Here in Boston, walking or the T are the primary form transportation for most people. While in Minnesota most everyone has a car and the few unlucky people who do take the bus in Minneapolis are the subject of pity for the people who drive past them. Here my house that is only a 5 minute walk from the T is a great deal where as in Minnesota the feeling would be more along the lines of "You WALK OUTSIDE for FIVE MINUTES?!"

So I guess it comes down to a trade off. A fairly good public transportation system for hardiness.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My students all were amazed that another city besides SF, Chicago and NY had a good transportation system.
    (Okay, I talked about you yet again!)
    And, yes, it was really hard to walk outside for five minutes when the wind chill was -45. (I'm glad my car was parked somewhat close to my classroom building!) Still, I was amazed at how hardy we all were (except for Sancho, who didn't even want to spend one minute outside!)
    I'm also very glad Grandmom and Grandpa decided to move south, or we could all have had to endure International Falls!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home