Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Feel the Burn

I started to work with my trainer again. There were a number of reasons to go back to him some of them being boredom with my work outs, bathing suite season, and also I just missed talking to the guy. The trainer and I get along well and I usually enjoy talking to him. Of course, there is the fact that I do pay him so he has to at least seem nice to me, but that is another story.

When I showed up at the gym on Wednesday I expected this work out to be like most of the others since I started working with him again; cadio, back strengthening, and stretching. I bopped into his office after my warm up and said hi.

“Today we’re going to box.” He informed me. Trainer is a former boxer and is semi-fanatical about it. I usually see him at the gym boxing or doing boxing training, and while he is a nice he looks like a mad-man while he is boxing. This should have been a clue of what was to come.

“We’ll start by reviewing the basic” he told me as we stood in front of the wall length mirror, me starring and following his motions (looking a lot more dorky and less coordinated then he did) as we jabbed, uppercut, and the rest of the boxing moves I didn’t remember about twenty seconds after we did them.

“Left upper cut then a right jab” he was yelling at me. “You aren’t following through, every time you are weak with your follow though I’m adding another five seconds! Keep moving!” Once I was drenched is sweat from our sparring he told me “Ok, now lunges down and back with punches in between.” No casual conversation, no smile, he was serious and bordering on mean. Once back from my lunges I was instructed with 20 pushups with the gloves on then another two minutes of sparring followed by wall sits.

I sat on the wall, legs shaking, dripping with sweat unable to fulfill my time limit. “You give up too easily, you aren’t even trying!” he started to tell me. This was the first time that he had been negative and also started to be the cliché trainer. I was beginning to have a flash back from high school when I was on the swim team and the coach would push us hard.

The strange thing is I was getting really pumped and into my workout. I was slightly disappointed when the hour was over and we were stretching. The thing I like most about working out is improving what I’m doing. I already want to go back to the gym and put on the smelly boxing gloves and work it out on a punching bag.

Maybe next time I won’t have to worry about mean Trainer and will be able to finish my wall squats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home