Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Friday, April 04, 2008

The Beginning Of The End

I never was afraid of old age. I felt with age would come responsibility and cool things like owning a house, having a family and a dog, and having things settled in your life. With age come togetherness, I always thought. Old age was something that is going to happen a long time from now was another belief that I had. I actually welcomed the thought of being a little old lady with grey hair and a porch to sit on while I sipped tea and swung back and forth in a large chair swing suspended from the ceiling. I would have kids in the neighborhood come by and eat gram crackers at my house as we talked about whatever they want and I would listen and be loving towards them. That was my idea of old age, a long time from now.

Well, old age apparently decided it was time to start chipping away at my life. As I was brushing my hair this morning a short kinky hair that stood straight up on the top of head caught my attention in the light. “Huhh, that’s one blond hair” I thought. For some reason or another I felt that this particular hair warranted further inspection so I plucked it and brought it down to eye level. There staring up at me from between two fingers was the first grey hair I have every grown. For whatever reason that particular follicle decided it was tired for being young and gave up making pigment but kept growing one unholy piece of hair. My body has begun the slow spiral into old age.

This is my first sign of old age and where am I? I’m living with my boyfriend in a rented apartment in the middle of Boston. No house, no dog, no togetherness. I’m lucky if I see Steve more then two nights a week before one of us passes out from exhaustion. Yet my body has marched on in time without me. For the first time, I’m afraid of getting old

2 Comments:

  • At 12:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, you have Steve and Steve's cat. With both of you so busy and doing such physical jobs, having a house would be a pain...just lots more work. Most textbooks are saying you don't reach adulthood until around 30, so be patient, save money and wait until you really know where you will be in ten years' time (isn't that the typical job interview question?)
    Sitting down and thinking about the answer to that question might be helpful, or it might be stressful.
    And remember, Dad was gray early...and I still have mostly dark blondish-light brownish hair.

     
  • At 7:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Maria,

    I disagree with your mom. Rush head-long into life. I was married at 20 and had a house at 22. (Val was born when I was 23.) It's rough at first, but great now.

    Of course you get to make your own choices and I'm sure they will be right for you.

    Val and Dan are here for dinner tonight and they are showing me your blog and laughing at me.

    You write well. Much Love,

    Dave Leussler

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home