Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Birthday List

Well today I turn 24. So far it’s been a pretty good day, Paul and Steve and I had breakfast at my favorite diner.


Paul gave me Birthday Frenchtoast

Last week I was talking with Steve about birthdays and when I think of birthdays past I have a top four. In chorological order they are:

1. The Birthday I was in Kindergarten (five maybe?) my parents had a birthday for me in the basement of our house and I had friends over. My mom made a clown cake, the theme was clowns for some reason, and she was so proud of the cake. I still remember what it looks like.

2. Seventh-grade birthday party (thirteen?), having commented about how Jenny always got pool parties at our house, my dad transformed our basement into a Hawaiian themed party with a small kiddie-pool. We spent the day filling the pool with warm water, hanging curtains to hide the washer and dryer and borrowing space heaters to warm up the basement. An all girl contingent from my junior high came and we sat in the pool of warm water and giggled four about two hours until we got pruney and then ate cake.

3. My twenty-first birthday. My best friends from Minneapolis had driven down to Rochester and, along with my friends from nursing school, we bar hopped to two bars until I was too drunk to remember. We then went home (or so I’m told) and ate massive amounts of pizza. A few days later I drove home and went out to a celebratory dinner with my parents. We went to Chino-Latino and had cocktails and I remember it was the first time I felt like an adult around them

4. My twenty-third birthday, my first birthday where I wasn’t with my family. Steve took me snowboarding and made me a cake. My cousin and his now wife along with Steve and I went out to dinner and then I came home and had cake with Adrianne, her then boyfriend, and Steve.

Today is my birthday and I hope there are many more happy ones to come.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I loved the photo of the French toast. I dont remember what the clown cake looked like, but I sure do remember the basement noisily filled with kids...oh that Peter!

    Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home