Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Work Place Morale

A few weeks ago it occurred to me that very soon I would be traipsing around Italy and would need some sturdy shoes to do so in. My only shoes that were summer appropriate were flip-flops from Old Navy that had already seen better days. I resolved to buy some comfortable yet fashionable summer shoes to wear as I wonder the streets of Roam.

I went to a local sporting good store and bought one set of black Tevas and another shoe that offered a bit more foot protection. The problem was they didn’t have my size in the Tevas. The store clerk (who was really rude to me) helped me order the appropriate size over the phone with a guarantee that I would have my new shoes in 24 hours!

I waited with anticipation to get my “Italy” sandals and start to break them in. Business hours came and went and I still had no shoes, I was resolved to call the company and demand that I get a discount for my shoes when my phone rang.

“Um, hi Ms. Hansen, this is Janet from Mountain Sports…I’m calling about your shoes?”
I was ready to put my mean face on and try to get a discount.
“What about my shoes?” I asked
“Well..um, I just wanted to let you know they weren’t going to be coming today.”
I waited a moment and trying to channel Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada, I asked, “And why is that?”
There was a long pause answered by “Because I’m stupid and incompetent at my job.”
Woooa! I don’t think my acting skills are that great as to convince someone over the phone that they are bad at their job. I felt really bad for my previous statement and quickly back peddled. No one should ever feel like they are stupid and incompetent because of a pair of shoes.
“Oh, I’m sure that’s not true…”
“Where do you live, near Davis square? I ride my bike home that way; I could drop them off at your house if you want?” She was grasping for straws, I felt like her desperation to please her boss was palpable over the phone.
The fact that I had been slightly rude to this humbled employee made me feel awful at the though of her having to bike out of her way to my house. I assured her I could wait another twenty-four hours and wished her a good day. Or at least a better one then she seemed to be having.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home