Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

City Rant

Summer in the city means long walks along the esplanade, ice cream in Davis square, and most of all being outside. The problem with being outside in a large city is that people are constantly asking you for things. I can handle the occasional homeless person asking for a few extra cents but what I really hate is the young people asking me if I have a minute . "Have a minute to: help the environment, end world hunger, stop discrimination, find world peace?" I know that these young people probably couldn't find any other job this summer and now they have a thankless job where they sit outside all day and harass people as they walk by. I'm sure they don't like it but I like it even less. I don't think any of these problems will be solved by me stopping for a "minute".

Sometimes all I want to do is walk home lost in my thoughts and instead I have to constantly justify my reasons for not stopping. At times it makes me want to drive.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM , Blogger Adrianne Mathiowetz said...

    That's where headphones come in handy. When I walk through Davis I wear my big ones so it's obvious. Sometimes they're not even connected to my iPod, but they don't know that.

     
  • At 3:22 PM , Blogger Adele said...

    Or you can pretend you come from another country and don't speak English. How's your Lituanian?

    M

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home