Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Friday, June 13, 2008

A New Post

I haven’t posted for a long time for many reasons (excuses). I’ve been working a lot to catch up from all the time I spent in Minnesota and it’s been really hot here. The heat has prevented me from doing anything that requires more energy than walking to the kitchen for another class of water. Now that it’s cooled down and I can think I have a post I’ve been meaning to write about for awhile.

I know BBF from work. She is higher up on the chain of command then I am, and while I wouldn’t say she is my boss I do take orders from her. If something happens to a patient she is ultimately the one held accountable to the surgeon. She is the one who gets yelled at and belittled from the doctor. Not me. She has a tough job because she is the middle man between the doctors and the nurses. Usually things are smooth and we can all work as a team for our patients but recently we have had a differing in opinions on how to work in the best interests of our patients.

Usually in any friendship there is a level playing field. Both people are of equal standing, but this is a new ground for me. When we are at work BBF opinion is the important one. Nurses have the tendencies to rally around each other if they are trying to get something ordered that they think will help the patient. When the nurses started to rally around me against what BBF’s opinion earlier this week I started to feel nervous.

It was awkward and I felt bad for playing that card on BBF. Luckily, she is awesome and understands that we all do what we feel is right, she held her ground, but later that day called me and we had a long talk and “made up”.

This is a bit of a different type of friendship but it’s a good one and I think one that will help me grow.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm glad you both worked it out. It's hard to be that middle person.
    The hierarchy of the hospital "team" is an interesting one. Trish as commented on it several times, especially as she has gotten older and become a "senior" RN working with much younger medical staff people--docs, nurses, etc.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home