Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Back to Church

I went to church for the first time in almost a year. I sat alone in a large pew in the middle of the first Unitarian church of Cambridge singing, preying and listening with a group of people I’ve never met before and who don’t know me. Over the course of the sermon the idea of community, of the church community kept being mentioned.

I long to be part of community like that again. I kept thinking back to when I was growing up and going to church was a favorite part of my week. How I would go and sit with a bunch of kids my age in a stinky basement and eat bagels while we talked about what we had done that week. It was familiar and many of the people who I went to church with are still very close friends.

I’m not sure how to capture this feeling again. At the end of the service a guy came up to me, “Hi, I’m Tom, you’re new right?” We talked for a while and in the end I signed up for a young adult group. Maybe it’s a step in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home