Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dad

My dad agreed to do a guest post for me while I'm on vacation next weekend. Here is a sampling of a journal while he was working at the Minnesota State Fair this summer. Enjoy and think about what's to come!

Day 3:
"* A chauffer arrives in a handicapped SUV limousine to pick up an elderly man in a wheelchair. He waits and waits and waits. I keep asking him how soon his client will be there because the loop is for quick pick-up and drop-off. He offers me $20 to let him stay. I refuse but let him stay anyway. He’s there for almost and hour. Later I wonder why I didn’t accept the bribe. I’d make a lousy 3rd world policeman."

Day 4
* "Today I arrived early walked around in the fair for a bit. I didn’t have my traffic vest on but I was wearing a shirt identifying me as fair staff (and saying I love my job – untrue). "

Day 6
* "I’ve spent time looking at footwear. Sandals seem to be most popular. Lots of people wear flip-flops. How can you walk around the fair all day in flip-flops? People in tennis shoes either wear no socks or the low-cut ankle socks. That’s why Maria gave me several pair for Christmas a few years ago, so I’d be in style. Problem is they don’t “feel right” to me when I wear them. I’ve noticed older guys often wear full length socks like I do. I’m in old-guy style."

"So now I can add directing traffic (traffic control engineer?) to my list of job experiences. When they asked me if I wanted to come back next year I told them I’d have to answer that like Brett Favre."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home