Standing Tall

The musings of a twenty something girl from the Midwest.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Meetinboston

“If I’m not back by 1 am call the police.” These were the instructions I left Adrianne before I left for the bar. I have never gone to the bar by myself before. The entire idea of going to such a social place with no one to be social with was a bit intimidating. The bar was located about within a 15 min. walk from my house. Enough time for me to receive a pep talk from Dana. I took a deep breath and entered. The front of the bar was filled with Irish music and college kids on break. I ordered an IPA and stood next to a man who was gesturing and talking to himself. Good I thought, it will look like this man and I are in a heated conversation. About fifteen seconds after thinking this I realized that standing next to someone who is talking to themselves is not a good idea when you want to try to meet other people. I wondered to the back of the bar where a ‘80’s cover band was warming up. I stood around for a bit and looked around. Everywhere there were groups of people talking to each other and I wondered why wasn’t I one of them?

Not long after that thought a short man came up to me and asked me if I was looking for someone, I said no and that I had come here by myself. He introduced himself as the founder of meetinboston.com. (or something to that effect). He introduced me to a large group of people.

Short guy: This is_______ he is part of meetinboston
Me: Hi what do you do?
Short guy: And this is________ He’s from Michigan

Once I said I was from Minnesota it was over. The guy from Michigan wouldn’t stop talking to me about the difference between soda and pop. I excused myself to get another beer. One beer later the meetboston people told me they were going to go to some other bar to listen to more music. I told them it was nice to meet them and left in a separate direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home